The Kanagawa kenritsu Ongakudo was opened in 1954 as the first Japanese Public Concert Hall. Its acoustics were highly acclaimed at the time as being “the best acoustics in the Orient”. The walls are all made of wood, and the hall is affectionately known as the “Wooden Hall”.
Even today, more than a half-century after it was built, its fine, clear sound are still highly rated by top class international and Japanese artists. While on the one hand the concert hall continues to be used for many fine concerts, it is also being used for chorus group and amateur orchestra concerts by the people of Kanagawa.
In 1988 it was selected by Japan’s Ministry of construction as one of the 100 noteworthy public buildings, and in 1999 as one of the 20 buildings of an important cultural heritage of the 20th century of the modern movement in Architecture: Selections from the DOCOMOMO (documentation and conservation of buildings, sites and neighborhoods of the modern movement) Register by DOCOMOMO Japan.
This outstanding example of architecture was designed by renowned Japanese architect Kunio Maekawa (1905 – 1986), a pupil of Le Corbusier, the father of post-war modern Japanese architecture.
Kanagawa Kenritsu Ongakudo provides a musical heritage with high acoustical quality. We hope that the Kanagawa Arts Foundation offers a wide variety of music programs for all kinds of audiences, from children through to adults, to listen to: orchestra, opera, and traditional Japanese music concerts as well as our core chamber music programs.
|Founded||November 4, 1954|
|Address||9-2, Momijigaoka, Nishi-ku, Yokohama|
|Building Structure||Reinforced concrete structure
One floor under ground and four floors above ground
|Total Floor Area||3,700.53m2|